Greek Slow Roasted Leb of Lamb
Recipe provided by: recipetineats.com
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 7 hours | Servings: 8
- 12 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 7 lb / 3.5 kg leg of lamb (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tsp paprika powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder (or sub with onion powder)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, quartered (white, brown, yellow, red)
- 10 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 3 dried bayleaves (or 5 fresh)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml lemon juice (2 – 3 lemons), plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml white wine (or sub with chicken broth/stock, low salt)
- 2 cups / 500 ml chicken broth (liquid chicken stock)
Guacamole with Feta Crumbles
Use Feta cheese to enhance the flavor of your guacamole.
- Dice ripe avocado and smash with a fork in bowl
- Add diced tomatoes and finely chopped green onion
- Add cumin, dash of sea salt and lemon juice (to taste)
- Top with finely chopped fresh cilantro and crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 240°C/465°F (220°C fan). Note: or as high as your oven can go if it can’t go this high.
Use a small knife to make around 25 incisions all over the lamb, with most on the top.
Cut around 6 cloves into slivers and stuff them into the incisions.
Sprinkle the lamb generously all over with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Drizzle with olive oil and rub all over the lamb.
Place the lamb in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes or until it has a nice brown crust.
Remove from the oven. Turn the oven down to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan).
Turn the lamb upside down. Pour / place all the remaining ingredients in the pan around the lamb (including remaining garlic cloves). Fill the roasting pan with hot water so it comes up about 1/4 – 1/3 of the way up the height of the lamb.
Cover with lid or with baking/parchment paper then 2 layers of foil. Bake for 3.5 hours. (Note 3) Top up water if it dries out (e.g. Might happen if your lid is loose)
Remove the roast from the oven and remove the lid/foil. Turn the lamb over so it is the right side up.
Cover again and roast for a further 2 1/2 hours, or until you can pull meat apart with forks.
Remove cover and roast for a further 20 – 30 minutes (to brown). See TOTAL COOK TIME chart below.
Remove from the oven and transfer lamb to serving platter. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 30 – 40 minutes.
Strain liquid into a clear jug. The fat will rise to the top. Scoop/pour most of it off – I get 3/4 – 1 cup. There should be 2 – 3 cups of Sauce left. Adjust salt, pepper and lemon to taste.
Serve lamb with the Sauce on the side and Truly Crunchy Roast Potatoes (heat oil while lamb is in the oven, then cook potatoes when the lamb is resting).
Leg of Lamb weight (including bone)
Roasting Step 2 kg / 4 lb 2.5 kg / 5 lb 3 kg / 6 lb 3.5 kg / 7 lb
1. Browning at high temperature 30 min 30 min 30 min 30 min
2. Upside down, covered 2.5 hrs 3 hrs 3.5 hrs 3.5 hrs
3 Right side up, covered 1.5 - 2 hrs 1.5 - 2 hrs 1.5 - 2 hrs 2 - 2.5 hrs
4. Final browning, uncovered 30 min 30 min 30 min 30 min
Total Roasting Time 5 - 5.5 hrs 5.5 - 6 hrs 6 - 6.5 hrs 6.5 - 7 hrs
Step 1 Oven Temperature: Steps 2 to 4 oven temperature:
Fan Forced 220C/430F Fan Forced 160C/320F
Conventional 240C/465F Conventional 180C/350F